baslinux - Re: [BL] I can't mount the HD

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] I can't mount the HD
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 08:32:32 +1200

Message from Steven
===================

> I partitioned the IBM Thinkpad 560's hard drive
> into two parts, hda1 and hda2, both ext2

Did you use BL3 to create those ext2 filesystems?

> Running BasicLinux from the floppies, I can't
> mount either partition

BL3 uses an older version of ext2 (before the
sparse-super option was introduced). Most newer
distributions select sparse-super by default
when they do mke2fs. These sparse-super ext2
filesystems are not readable by BL3.

To summarize:

Any distribution can access an ext2 filesystem
created by BL3.

BL3 is unable to access ext2 filesystems created
with the sparse-super option. It is also unable
to access ext3 filesystems.

To create BL3-accessible filesystems from non-BL3
systems, use the "-O none" parameter for mke2fs.