baslinux - [BL] set up another Linux to boot from DOS, like BL?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: BasicLinux mailing-list <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] set up another Linux to boot from DOS, like BL?
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 00:07:04 -0700 (PDT)

i [monz] wrote:

> This is the first time i've used the DOS version
> of BL. Very ingenious!

To Steven:

Would it be possible to use a similar setup
to launch other small versions of Linux?
My current favorite, other than BL and Puppy,
is SliTaz, and i'd like to try to get that going
on the Compaq, which has a whopping 98 MB of RAM.

But the Compaq has no CD, only floppy, and
SliTaz is designed to boot from CD. I've gotten
the Compaq online and downloaded the ISO of
SliTaz, but it doesn't want to mount as "loop".

(Part of the problem with trying to get SliTaz
going without already *running* SliTaz in RAM,
is that it uses lzma for compression, which
BL does not have.)

Anyway, what i'd like to know is: can i set up
the kernel and boot-up files for SliTaz, to run
from DOS, the same way you've done with BL?

-monz