baslinux - Re: [BL] How to install to HD from floppies

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] How to install to HD from floppies
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 08:14:29 +1300

Message from Steven
===================
Teixeira wrote:

> But now I intend to install it on another computer
> (Pentium III) with the floppies version, which I
> couldn't get to do

Does BL3 boot from the floppies?
Does it run OK on the Pentium III ?

> First I used the supplied fdisk and made 3 primary
> partitions (hda1, hda2 and hda3); What are the next
> steps, considering that I want to boot from hda1

Do you want to boot from /dev/hda1 (using LOADLIN.EXE)
or put Linux on /dev/hda1 ?

If you want to put Linux on /dev/hda1, do this:
----------------
mke2fs /dev/hda1
----------------

> and make a swap area on hda3

Use fdisk to mark /dev/hda3 as a swap partition, then:
----------------
mkswap /dev/hda3
----------------

> How can I get ext2 partitions?

First you use fdisk to create a Linux partition.
Then you run mke2fs on that partition.

> Do I need just one ext2 partition?

Yes.

> Would you please give me step-by-step instructions so
> that I could put BL3 on a 4GB Hd and boot from it the
> right way?

After you create your Linux partition, mount it on /hd
and execute install-to-hd. For example, if you want
to put Linux on /dev/hda2, do this:
--------------------
mke2fs /dev/hda2
mount /dev/hda2 /hd
install-to-hd
--------------------
This will install BL3 to HD and give you instructions
how to boot it (this varies according to which version
of BL3 you are using).

> Can I install a wideband modem right away or do I need
> first to upgrade the libraries?

Do not upgrade the libraries. It should not be necessary.
Most broadband modems connect to the computer using a
network cable. Is yours like that? If so, you will
need to activate the network card in your computer
(using a BL3 network module). Do you know the name
of your network card? There are different modules for
different cards.