baslinux - Re: [BL] How to install to HD from floppies

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] How to install to HD from floppies
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 18:51:09 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

I have installed BL3 DOS version on an old 486 and it works fine.
Installing was a breeze!

But now I intend to install it on another computer (Pentium III) with
the floppies version, which I couldn't get to do, despite the fact of
being trying it really hard.

First I used the supplied fdisk and made 3 primary partitions (hda1,
hda2 and hda3);

What are the next steps, considering that I want to boot from hda1 and
make a swap area on hda3?

How can I get ext2 partitions?

Boot from floppies
mke2fs /dev/hda1

(This makes an ext2 file system on the first partition).

Do I need just one ext2 partition?

Yes. BL3 does not need 4GB, so you can save most of the drive for something else.

Would you please give me step-by-step instructions so that I could put
BL3 on a 4GB Hd and boot from it the right way?

BL3.50 which I already installed to hard disk has a /usr/sbin/install-to-hd
script with instructions. (The page which you see when you boot may refer to this script, but it is not in my ext2 BL3.50). You have already done step

(1) prepare a Linux partition
Next
(2) use mke2fs to put a filesystem on that partition

Then type:
install-to-hd

Can I install a wideband modem right away or do I need first to upgrade
the libraries?

No need to change libraries, only if you want to run Opera.

Thanks for your kind attention.

Teixeira

Na Oi Internet você ganha ou ganha. Além de acesso grátis com
qualidade, você pode ter contas ilimitadas de email com 1 giga cada uma,
suporte grátis e muito mais. Baixe grátis o Discador Oi em
http://www.oi.com.br/discador e comece a ganhar.

Agora, se o seu negócio é voar alto na internet,
assine Oi Internet Banda Larga e ganhe o modem grátis. Clique em
http://www.oi.com.br/bandalarga e aproveite essa moleza!