baslinux - [BL] ) re: BL] ATA100 IDE-PCI controller card

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] ) re: BL] ATA100 IDE-PCI controller card
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 12:46:45 -0500

Before it hangs, it says, in part

-----------------------------

ide1 at 0x170-0x176, 0x376 on irq15

VFS: Cannot open root device 03:08

> > baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org
> Wed Oct 17 09:49:04 EDT 2007

Sindi had said as follows (mostly snipped):

> So we put in a Promise Ultra100 controller card

I just did the same.

> Linux booted using the onboard controller, but with the PCI-IDE
> controller cannot open /dev/hda or any other hard drive when I boot
> with 2-floppy BL3, and won't boot at all from hard disk (BL2 ramdisk,
> BL3 loop, ext2 BL - boot process stops partway through).

I'd had BL 3.5 installed to /dev/hda8, and it worked fine when the HD

was connected to the motherboard IDE:

(part of GRUB's menu.lst:)
------------
title Windows
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
makeactive
boot

title BL 3.5
root (hd0,0)
kernel /baslin/zimage root=/dev/hda8 rw

But when it's plugged in to the ULTRA100 controller,
what I got was kernel panic - it can't seem to find something it
needs ?

Can some Linux expert please help?

Thanks,

Sheldon