baslinux - [BL] loop bl3 won't load on Gateway from fat32

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] loop bl3 won't load on Gateway from fat32
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 20:49:54 +0000 (UTC)

Message from Sindi Keesan

Gateway 333MHz computer (with what looks like a third IDE slot that is missing a few pins), 64MB RAM. Win98SE set to boot into DOS not Win (bootgui=0 in msdos.sys).

Copied over BL3.50 loop version via flash drive to hda1.

Tried to boot with zimage:

hda: hda1 hda2
attempt to access beyond end of device
dev 07:00: rw=0, want=2, limit=0
EXTfs: unable to read superblock
dev 07:00: rw=-, want=1, limit=0 ..... kernel panic (the usual)

This has happened to me and other people on various computers.

From my earlier posting in 2004 I learned that DR-DOS or MS DOS 6.22 might
work where Win98 DOS 7.1 did not, but they won't work with this FAT32 file system. I don't have the latest FreeDOS, which might help here.

Someone else booted with a bzimage from bl3-32 addons, 2.4.18 kernel.
Steven hypothesized that the newer kernel fixed some problem.
But 2.2.26 from BL3.5 won't boot for me on this computer.

I tried 2.4.31 bzimage that I compiled, and it gave me different error messages but would not boot (kernel panic).

I copied over BL3.50 to hdc5 and can boot to that from C:\baslin.

The Win98 computer is for someone in a senior housing place, who is going to set up her neighbors with email. She asked on freecycle for XP since her neighbors were taking classes in it. She personally would like to learn linux and hates MS. She asked if she could install linux to a 'new tower' if she bought one! I will stick bl3 with Opera and Abiword onto hdc5 and demo it that way. Opera upxed would have fit in the 20MB loop.

I have given a few other people dual-boot computers and they chose linux.