baslinux - Re: [BL] Arachne bl 3

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Arachne bl 3
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:05:00 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Thanks for this Ron and Steven. Good to know. Yes I am also very happy
about links and links2 but it is in the BL archive for BL3 only with
Xfree. Then there is that svgalib version of links2 that sindi always
talks about that she port from dlinux or something but I just thought
that I wouldn't have time to do this right now so I thought that
arachne would be easier. Also I thought that Archean for linux was at
the level of arachne for dos. I see what I will do but thank for the
helpfully information.

The version from delilinux is 2.1pre14, 3.5GB executable and requires glibc and a lot of other libraries so that it can be used without X. Steven compiled a 3.0GB 2.1pre15 (Apr 28 2004) that does require the BL3 X but not much else (and has an updated Upper Sorbian translation and two other pages of minor improvements including security bugs and crashes).

If you have BL3 working with X, you are better off with this version. I use the delilinux version in BL2 and on one laptop where Xvesa would not work (I eventually got the SVGA X working by changing the modelines).

Apr 28 2004 pre15 (current BL3 version)
Oct 27 2007 pre31
Dec 13 2007 pre32

Steven, is it worth compiling pre32 for BL3? Is there any simple and nondestructive way to run something compiled for BL3 X in BL2?

Links2 apparently will work in framebuffer mode (no need for svgalib, but you still need all those other libraries for the non-X version). You need a framebuffer kernel or modules (the BL3 big kernel should work, with vesafb, on most VESA 2.0 or higher cards such as aty, riva, matrox).

Most javascript is not supported by links2. Try Opera 9.

Sindi

/Mikkel