baslinux - Re: [BL] test svga

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] test svga
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 01:46:50 +0000 (UTC)

yOn Fri, 22 Sep 2006, David Moberg wrote:

mikkel meinike wrote:
Hi!

Yesterday I tried with seejpeg here first it says no libvga.config
file then it says it will go to default settings low monitor 32 MHz
and then it dyes with "segmentation fault"

Steven wrote:

Work better than what? The svgalib package in
Slackware 4.0?

Yes that's what I have bin trying before. But actually I don't know
exactly what I have bin trying before.

You should try the Slackware 4 svgalib first. If it fails, then
install the alternate svgalib that I gave the link for.

According to Slackware 4 MANIFEST.gz, svgalib is in a4/elflibs.tgz and
d1/svgalib.tgz. svgalib.tgz contains an /etc/vga/libvga.config, which
worked on my computer. If it doesn't work for you, you should be able
to change the chipset specification in libvga.config so that it
matches your video card.

First try adding to the beginning of libvga.config the line:

chipset VGA

If that does not work, try
chipset VESA

If that does not work, try booting without a DOS config.sys file (hit F5 while booting to DOS), because that can mess up your linux video. I have one computer where I need to boot with LILO to use either Xvesa or svgalib.

Then if that does not work, try David's 1-floppy 2.4.31 boot disk, which includes libvga (latest version) and zgv (all for uClibc).

If nothing works, you have a very strange video card or motherboard.

I have had segmentation faults with svgalib only when I try to use the wrong libvga.so with kernel 2.4.31.