baslinux - Re: [BL] Mail server for BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Mail server for BL3
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 04:23:15 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

Anybody want a mail server for BL3?
This sounds educational.

I've got SMTPd and POP3d running on BL3. It accepts
emails from sylpheed (or other mail client) and stores
them in the appropriate user's mailbox until he gets
them (using sylpheed or similar).

Can you also just use the smaller BL3 or BL2 mail program?

I've got it configured solely for local use (it does
not forward mail to other SMTP servers); however, it's
a standard mail server (qmail) so you could configure
it to do anything the big mail servers do. There's a
huge amount of documentation available about qmail.

If anybody's interested, I'll put together a pre-
configured package. All you need to do is pkg, adduser,
start-mail. Then, on the other computer (even a Windows
computer), you put the address of the BL3 computer into
the SMTP and POP3 server fields. Address emails to:
username AT mail.local (the same username you used for the
adduser command on the mail server).

Can it be done via ethernet connection -- ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 on the server, and then this is the address of the BL3 computer? What do I substitute for eth0 if networking via serial null-modem cable, ppp0?
Would plip work?

This sort of local mail server could be useful for a work-
place intranet, or for teaching beginners to use email,
or for testing the functionality of email clients.

Anybody want in a copy?