baslinux - [BL] Opera 8 segfaults on some computers

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Opera 8 segfaults on some computers
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 01:46:25 +0000 (UTC)

Opera 7.23 installs and runs fine on our 450MHz DFI AMD, as do 8.51 and 8.52.

On the 233MHz (upgraded to 300MHz) Gateway PII, probably a year older, and on a Compaq that was downgraded from 475 to 300MHz (USB would not work at the higher speed), 7.23 runs from its own directory but will not install, a syntax error on line 583.

8.51 and 8.52 segmentation fault on that computer and on a 166MHz (a year older) Intel PI. 7.23 works on two laptops - 133 and 233MHz. They all have 32MB or more RAM. With 32MB Opera sometimes exits abruptly so we added 32-64MB swap file.

So if you have a PI Intel to 266MHz or a Compaq AMD K6-2 to 500Mhz, or a Gateway PII board that only goes to 300MHz, and 8.52 and 8.52 segfault, try 7.23, and if it will not install, run it from /opera*/opera wrapper.

Similarly for other pre-2000 computers not on my list.

Opera 6.05 installed and loaded on my 486 but crashed frequently.

It took us all day to figure this out, part of the problem being one bad DIMM, one bad drive, and my forgetting that you cannot run BL3.40 in loop.

We are about to set up my new upstairs neighbor with BL3.40 and Opera 7.23 on a 166MHz computer with 340MB drive because it is faster than a 120MB, and 32MB RAM with swap file.

What speed computer would be appropriate for running BL3/Opera with a DSL line? The friend we set up likes it but has long waits to download. Is 600MHz significantly better than the 300MHz we gave him? I think a 10Mbit ethernet card is as good as any for DSL (which reaches 1.5MBit/s).

Our two Acton AUI-BNC-RJ45 cards work perfectly all the time, unlike a couple of 3c59x cards that often needed the modules reloaded, and the rtl8139 cards that won't work with mii.o and 2.4.31 (something about watchdog). And they use modules that come with BL2 and with BL3.40 - 8390 and ne.