baslinux - Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 02:21:24 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, David Moberg wrote:

On Sat, Nov 26, 2005, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
I am currently building some floppies, so if you want to wait that is probably
your best option.

Many thanks, I will wait.

One 1.44M floppy image is ready now:

http://us.share.geocities.com/davidjmoberg/linux-usb.tar.gz

A usage example is included in the README.

The README says to insert a good 'formatted' 1.44M floppy. I presume you mean a floppy disk that you formatted, so you know it has no bad sectors, since linux will be overwriting the formatting. I tried with an unknown-quality disk and got two 'bad sector' type errors while using dd, but not on the vt where I was running dd.

If I format the same disk under dosemu, I get the same error messages, on the dosemu terminal, about track 23 head 1 sector 14 size 2, sector 859, track 24..... Preparing FAT area. So I have a way to format a DOS disk in linux but I don't think linux is happy with these disks.

1,474,560 bytes total disk space
1,457,664 bytes available on disk.

A second disk had the same exact results. Different brand.
A third one seems to be okay, no error message, but same number of available bytes. It looks like dosemu format actually formatted the first two disks, but warned me of bad sectors which it skipped but which dd might not skip. Why does linux (including dosemu format) find more space than DOS format does?

dd is working on this third disk. I will report back if it does not boot, and try to test it on the card reader tomorrow.

insmod loop
mount -o loop 1440.img /mnt
ls /mnt

I see not loadlin or lilo but syslinux. Is this smaller or easier to set up? Also 'linux' (file system) and initrd.gz (with ramdisk rather than loop module?)

This disk includes 2.4.31 + modules, busybox, uclibc, full
svgalib and zgv. /etc contains 3 files, modified from BL3.

I will try to fix my website's index.html and merge the
previous USB packages with this tar.gz package. I also
want to add some more disk images, but that may take
longer.

How will these disk images differ from this one? If it works, this one is going overseas in a week with the CF camera and card reader.

David