baslinux - Re: [BL] GS

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] GS
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 14:36:07 +0000 (UTC)

Did you also install the ghostscript fonts?

now I did not I wonted small as possible

Maybe the Slackware 4.0 gs was not compiled to support X11 at all.
I think you can type gs --help for a list of devices that are supported.
Or maybe just gs (nothing following it at all). You need to choose which
devices are supported during compilation.

yes you are right about that my gs does not support X11

To use that gs you will probably need the gs fonts.

Does gs have a pstopdf convertor?
If so, maybe someone on the list (David?) would be willing to compile xpdf for BL3 and you could then view pdf files under X. Check whether gs has a pstopdf convertor.

GS was a real pain to compile. xpdf is smaller. It also includes pdftotext (you can get that in the DOS version) and pdfimages, which will let you look at the text and images on separate pages. pdftopbm converts the whole pdf file to an image and is slower. xpdf runs under X and shows you everything, but is very slow.
Check if X11 is supported. If not, you can use bmv as a viewer of ps
files, after you install svgalib,

I don't think svgalib will work I have tested seejpg and now this gs.

Did you install svgalib.tgz package first? If you did, you might need to add chipset VESA to the config file for svgalib (libvga.config or maybe it is vgalib.config, in /etc/vga). Often svgalib will work without this but only at low resolutions.

Or you can install the SW71 or SW81 glibc (and maybe also elflibs) ad use
the gs from SW71 or the one I compiled, in X11. That might be easier and
more useful so you can then also use precompiled xpdf as a viewer of pdf
files (with the SW81 glibc).

Th gs that you compiled is quit big but maybe the xpdf or I will just use
the the pbm or pnm device that gs support and veiw with xli.

You probably mean you will use gs to convert the whole file to pbm or pnm.
It will not be very good resolution, compared to using xpdf. I have tried it (in DOS).

But then you can also print with netpbm directly to epson or hp.

A recent BL3 xpdf would be useful.

Thanks for the help
/Mikkel

/Mikkel