baslinux - Re: [BL] GS

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] GS
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 17:06:00 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005, mikkel meinike wrote:

I have now installed gs and the viewer gv on my BL3 system but when I
try to see a ps file I can't do that I get an error messages
gv alphabet.ps

The xterm window display
Warning: ... fund while parding '<key>apLineDel:
GV_Page(page+5)
Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset

Did you also install the ghostscript fonts?

The gv windows Oppens and this massages pups up
Ghost Script Massages
unknown device: x11

So it looks like the problem is in the settings of gs. I found out
that my ghost script that is from slackware4 as default sent the
output to CLI svgalib.

Maybe the Slackware 4.0 gs was not compiled to support X11 at all.
I think you can type gs --help for a list of devices that are supported.
Or maybe just gs (nothing following it at all). You need to choose which devices are supported during compilation.

The Slackware 8.1 ghostsript supports X11 but not svgalib and I could not compiled the latest version to support svgalib.

gs alphabet.ps
from an X11 xterm does: Black screen some fast massages about svgalib
and something about buss error and than fall back to X11 with

svgalib: allocated virtual console #5

How can I change the settings so it will use X11 and I assume the X11
fonts, and so that gv can display my ps files? and also I have a very
low screen 480x600 should I set a special resolution for this screen
or will that work out automatically with the vga16 server

Check if X11 is supported. If not, you can use bmv as a viewer of ps files, after you install svgalib, but you will need to either compile it yourself, or find a version for libc5 (maybe an rpm version, which you will need to convert to .tgz version using the rpm2targz script which should be in one of the packages, or you can find it I think at my website) and you need cpio to use that script. David Moberg understands this better.

Bmv lets you specify the resolution and pan (move around in the document) and the newer version lets you also rotate.

Or you can install the SW71 or SW81 glibc (and maybe also elflibs) ad use the gs from SW71 or the one I compiled, in X11. That might be easier and more useful so you can then also use precompiled xpdf as a viewer of pdf files (with the SW81 glibc).

/Mikkel

/Mikkel