baslinux - Re: [BL] Usefull software for BasicLinux?

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Usefull software for BasicLinux?
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 13:10:11 -0800

On 11/2/05, James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Nov 2005, Markus Laire wrote:
>
> > I'd like to support even 8086, but that might not be possible.
> > (ELKS http://elks.sourceforge.net/ is still in development)
>
> That project has been in development for a good, long time. And in fact it
> ceased developing a good long while ago. I think it's moribund. The only
> possible hope I can see for running Linux on 286 and below might be using
> some sort of embedded Linux--presuming it's kernel is for the x86
> architecture and not ARM or something like that.

Does FreeDOS work on a 16-bit CPU? You could merge the contents of the
FreeDOS CD (many nice programs for FreeDOS) with your CD. If it needs
to be more unix-like, minix works on the 8086. (There are also some smaller
projects, but you will probably need to compile and hack around with them
a lot to get them to do what you want.) If it has to be Linux, ELKS is your
only
option. (uClinux only works on a 386.) And it's very different from mainstream
Linux.

David