baslinux - Re: [BL] Usefull software for BasicLinux?

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Usefull software for BasicLinux?
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 19:12:54 -0800

> On 11/1/05, Markus Laire <markus AT laire.info> wrote:
> > The CD(s) should be usable as is, without any Internet-connection to
> > download extra packages -- so when you get in front of an old
> > computer, and you have a task to do, you could install BasicLinux and
> > the needed programs from the CD(s) to do the task.
> >
> > So I'd like to get some help about what I should include on such a CD(s).

I think that (s)vgalib would be useful; it is a lighter system for getting a
graphical user interface than X.

BL3 already includes good Internet functionality, so that should be
covered.

Basic graphics utilities would be useful; perhaps a small selection of
netpbm tools. caca or libaa perhaps, for those who only want text
mode.

You could include a basic sound kernel, and one of the little sound
packages for BL3. Streaming audio is probably not very useful on a
386.

Small office-type applications. There are several command-line
spreadsheets, as well as tiny editors like e3.

That is about all that I can think of right now.

David