baslinux - Re: [BL] mac

  • From: Samual Acorn <sam.acorn AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] mac
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 03:44:07 -0600

this is probably too late but;

On 11/09/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> We cannot find a way to transfer files between our DOS-BL3 laptop computer
> and a macintosh computer (with a french keyboard - it must have a cap
> locsk key somewhere).

kaps lock is the one that clicks and stays down when pressed (like an
apple 2 and commodore 64)

> There is one Mac computer with a floppy drive but our laptop floppy drive
> is broken. We plugged the parallel port zip drive into what looks like a
> parallel port but it kept the mac from booting. There is no serial port.

that was the scsi port... you might want to check that zip drive with
a good computer for damage...

the serial port on a mac is an 8pin mini-din with a picture of a
telephone headset near it...
it uses apples wonky attempt at rs422...

pin equevalents follow -- the numbers with dashes are pins that are
tied together on the local side... note: this is a -straight through-
cable -not- a crossover... pins not listed should be left to 'float'
... pc side is for 9pin port...

PC MAC
2 5
3 3
5 4-8
7 1
8 2
6-4

(i use an old powerbook as a dumb terminal)
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/raine/products.html

> The other computer has an ethernet connection to a dsl line. We have a
> 10MBit pcmcia ethernet card that works. Can we connect somehow to the
> Macintosh and if so how.

TCP/IP over appletalk using a nullmodem cable and netatalk on linux
should work... (note: i have not tried this) but its pointless... macs
arent good for anything but holding down paper... if your mac does not
have pci slots (in which you could put an ethernet card) just get rid
of it...

> We have serial and parallel transfer cables, and pcmcia CF adaptor, but
> those are useless with a mac. We have a USB camera but not a usb cable
> for it. Do macs have usb ports. our other camera has a usb cable but
> wont work with this particular CF card, but we could transfer the files to
> a different card and then plug in the other USB camera - do Macs
> automatically find USB cameras. We did not, of course, bring the CD
> because we are all set up to communicate with ANY pc computer via serial
> or parallel cable, parport CF adaptor, pcmcia CF reader, or parport zip
> drive, using a DOS or linux boot disk.

newer macs have usb ports (if the keyboards connector looks like an
s-video connector then the mac you have is too old to have usb ports)
but ive never used one that new so i dont have any clue what they do
when a usb device is connected... if your camera follows the 'usb
storage device' standard (doesnt use its own proprietary drivers) it
-should- work with a usb endowed mac...

> Our floppy drive is broken.

and my electricity is acting like it wants to go out... gotta go...
(sorry if this gets double sent)