baslinux - Re: [BL] X problem (as usual)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X problem (as usual)
  • Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 13:47:50 +0000 (UTC)

Hallow agan

I checked and I also posted info about a 486 25MHz Contura Compaq which I
had set up with linux, and it was monochrome not color, and it DID work
with svgalib (in greyscale for zgv). 12MB RAM. This might be what we are
talking about here. So the video chips might be entirely different. I
used zgv because xvesa would not work, I think. I gave someone else the
computer so I cannot check now. It was sort of slow in graphical mode but

I just wrote asking him to check for zgv (and also seejpeg, which I know comes with Slackware) and what the dependencies were. I think I made a little package of all of these once and I will look for it.

not impossibly so, and looked rather nice with zgv's switch for greyscale
(-grey?). I forget where I got zgv - and it needed a few more libraries.
I experimented and found it used much less RAM than X. I think I posted
about this too. But zgv (svgalib) won't work on my newer Compaq 486
(75MHz). Black screen, I think it was.

Ok this might be the thing. This description is close to my laptop I only have 8 mb ram but anyway. Is svgalib already in BL3 ore should I get it from slackware 4.0 (I see the abiword addon is for svgalib) and then this zgv I don't know where to find that. It would be cool. Than I would be able to run links2.

The links2 that Steven compiled for BL3 works in X but not in svgalib.
There is another links2 at the delilinux site which works with svgalib, but needs a later glibc2.1.3 (you can get it from Slackware 7.1, just the so library, about 1-2MB I think). It also needs several other libraries from Slackware 7.1 (for viewing jpegs, tiffs, pngs, etc.) and is rather large, but I think you said you have a 200MB hard drive. I never took the time to install it to my mono laptop because I got zgv working with links 0.90 instead. Links2 does some javascript.

The links 0.90 which comes with BL3 can be set up to work with an image viewer such as seejpeg or zgv, in setup. It only shows you one image at a time, not 'inline' (it is on a separate page) but should be faster than graphical links2.

vga16 I have tried with mulinux, but I think it is to slow, then I rater use DOS grafic witch is quit fast and BL3 is so fast booting so switching make no big deal.

Have you tried dosemu? I had to add bash shell from SW4.0 to make it install in BL3. I posted what I did to the list - search on BL3 and dosemu and bash. Choose an older version compiled for libc5.

David compiled a version that works with BL2 (based on Slackware 7.1) and other list members reported what programs work with it. Pictview (DOS viewer) works well, for instance. dosemu -V (VGA).

Dosemu is a 'DOS emulator' which lets you run some DOS programs without rebooting from linux to DOS.

Can I make a normal user in BL? it seems adduser won't work.
Other people have asked this question. Search the list.

Thanks for all the comment so fare. This is exiting.
/Mikkel