baslinux - Re: [BL] MP3 via ethernet, was Re: BL streaming MP3

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MP3 via ethernet, was Re: BL streaming MP3
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 10:55:54 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> How much is 'a little disk space'?

Just enough to buffer the mp3 stream. It looks like you have plenty.

> I think we could come up with
> 50M-100B on each machine, or add another hard drive if needed
> (340MB). Right now I have mpg123 set up on the downstairs machine.
> The upstairs one needs a sound card and speakers added, or we
> could run it to another downstairs location which is set for sound
> already (also set for Realaudio - could I also listen to that fed
> to my computer, where Realaduio segfaults?)

How can you listen if it segfaults?

> I was wondering if you could do a send/receive between computers,
> or set up httpd and download from one computer to the other via
> wget without retaining the file on the first computer - can you
> split it to both play on one computer and send to another, with
> some sort of double pipe?

Here's a basic plan:

On the computer connected to the Internet:

wget -O - http://www.mp3.com/some_mp3_stream.mp3 | tee buffer | nc -l -p 95

On the other one:

nc address_of_other_PC 95 | mpg123 -

This should start playback on the other one. To start playing on the
one connected to the Internet,

cat buffer | mpg123 -

> Is there some simple convertor from realaudio format to mp3 format?

If you ever get MPlayer working, see if it can decode your RA streams.

> For anyone interested in Ogg Vorbis, try WCLU, at 28K.

Both of my MPlayers can handle Ogg (Theora (video) and Vorbis (audio))

> > The method you use will depend on the answers to these questions.
>
> My simpler idea was to get a long speaker wire extension and run it
> upstairs along with one of the two stereo speakers, since the
> streams are mono. My partner wants to learn ethernet from this
> experiment. He also wants to learn to program for data acquisition
> in linux, via serial port, so as to turn the attic fan on when it
> is cooler out than in. A neighbor suggested a simple electonic
> circuit instead.

The circuit is more reliable.

> I found also weku, where a former roommate hosts a 3-hour classical
> music program every morning. wdav, wuol, and wmnr are nearly 100%
> classical (the last of these not Friday, Saturday, or Sunday
> evenings). The other two are half talk. Several stations said
> they just started doing streaming MP3 but they started at 64K or
> higher.

David

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com