baslinux - Re: [BL] What BL version to choose?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] What BL version to choose?
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 23:16:45 +0000 (UTC)

You can also use Xvesa or Xfbdev on BL2. Of course, the only reason that
would be necessary is if you don't want to configure a hi-res X server.
What's nice about BL3, though, is that you have a ready-to-run distribution
for X, and you only have to install one package for most X applications.
Therefore, everything is small and simple, just the way it should be.

I AM using Xvesa with BL2. After a few weeks of fiddling to get it to work, I can now just move it around between computers to any video card (except some laptops with Chips and Technologies). BL3 was certainly easier, and if you add a later glibc it will do almost as much as BL2.

My HP scanner scans at 8.5" x 11.69" and you can adjust the width and
height by fractions of a milliter but the closest I could get to the
required size for pbmtoppa was too pixels too short (or else too
large - when I am oversize I don't get told what size file I tried to
send it). I narrowed it in between two pixel sizes.

Isn't it possible to add something to your script to resize it before
sending it to pbmtoppa?

The maintainer of netpbm suggested a cropping program. I will try shortening the 11.69" scanned page to 11" if there is some way to crop 1 pixel at a time. I would need to make it 414 pixels shorter for US Letter size. Scanjet works in multiples of 1.52588e-05 mm instead of pixels.

After I learn to crop then I can try to scale a 200 dpi pbm into a 600 dpi pgm and then back to a pbm (hopefully not a fuzzy one again) so I can print the things sent me by people who think scanners are 'pdf machines'.

pamscale is a newer replacement for pnmscale. Maybe it will preserve pbm?

One other option is a DOS viewer (pictview), which scales things up, but is quite slow since DOS uses memory inefficiently. No fun doing this to 100 pages before printing.

"If a train stops at a train station, what happens at a workstation?"
Cute.

David