baslinux - Re: [BL] framebuffer

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] framebuffer
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:30:52 +0000 (UTC)

The first card I tried with framebuffer and David's patchedkernel that works with S3, was an S3 Trio64V and it did not work as a framebuffer device.

The second card, Stealth II 220 with Rendition chip, worked as framebuffer and looks nice at 800 and 1024 resolution, but could not open GPM mouse for links2, and it crashes completely to a black screen, not rebootable, with xfbdev (in BL2, with libm.so.5 from BL3 - BL3 can't even find the cursor font for it).

I now tried a Matrox Millenium II and it worked as a framebuffer device, could not open GPM mouse, but xfbdev produces the same screen as Xvesa, and I can add options to get to rxvt, icewm, and opera, which worked fine at 800x600x32K. ButI can do that with Xvesa on VESA 1.2 cards.

So I tried 1024x768 and 800x600 at 256 colors.

Long black pause, followed by a bright blue screen and eventually the black rxvt window and opera in blue on black, exactly like Xvesa.

The verdict - where Xvesa fails completely (on these two cards it did work, but on exit the console was too dim to read) this xfbdev (from Kdrive?) will work instead, but again not in 8-bit color.

I have not got links2 -g to work with framebuffer. svgalib won't work with 2 of these 3 cards either so I don't recommend using them unless youdon't want to use zgv, seejpeg, bmv, and svgalib outside of X (won't work in svgalib or in fb modes).

THese cards produce nicer looking 132x50 than does resizecons, and also 100x37, but not 80x37 (unless I get fbset to work with matrox).

The Stealth Rendition card is useless with xfbdev but works with Xvesa.
So I would use it with framebuffer for more text modes, and with Xvesa, and give up on zgv and seejpeg and bmv with it. Since it has 4MB RAM, no need to use it with 256 colors.

It is nice to have the extra possibilities.

One possibility is to use the Rendition as fb0 and the Matrox as fb1. The former works with Xvesa, the latter with xfbdev. The former does not work with resizecons or svgalib, the latter does. So this would provide two monitors on which to run one program in Xvesa (Rendition, lots of resolution and colors with 4MB RAM) , and the other in svgalib (links2, 1280 and 16 or 256 colors), both full-size instead of in smaller windows or switching between windows.

I sort of doubt the 16MB video ram Voodoo card will do any better at xfbdev.

Any ideas how to get links2 to open GPM mouse?