baslinux - Re: [BL] re: parallel port modem

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: Basic Linux Mailling List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] re: parallel port modem
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 17:19:40 +0000 (UTC)

ALL of my USR Sportster modems (which are 14.4, 28.8, 33.6 and 57.6K) are dated 1997 or earlier and they ALL have something that looks identical to a parallel port because it has 25 pins, but is really just the older style serial port.

The computers used to be made with just 25-pin serial ports, then one 25-pin and one 9-pin, then two 9-pins (or sometimes just 1 9-pin).

We have modem cables for all these variations:
25 to 25 (these can also be used as printer extension cables if they have all their pings)
25 to 9
9 to 25
9 to 9

We have a couple that offer you a choice of 9 or 25 at one end, with 25 at the other.

So what you need is a modem cable that plugs into the 9-pin serial port on the computer (unless you have a 25-pin serial port there) and the 25-pin connector on the modem. Or an adaptor for the modem to convert from 25 to 9 pin so you can use a 9-to-9 pin modem cable.

Or an internal modem and free slot for it.