baslinux - Re: [BL] How to turn off ls(1) color effects in X / rxvt?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] How to turn off ls(1) color effects in X / rxvt?
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 15:42:46 +0000 (UTC)

What color depth are you using, assuming this is BL3 and X?
Xvesa (the X used in BL3) does not work properly in 8-bit color and gives odd color effects (bright reds, blues, and greens where they should not be). If you chose 12, try 4 instead. If your video card will do 16 but not 15, and you choose 12, Xvesa will probably run at 8-bit because there is no 12-bit (does not exist). If you have 15-bit and choose 12-bit it will give you 15-bit.

You can edit Xconfig (I forget where it is) and change 12 to 4 or 16.

I would like to see the setup menu changed to eliminate the 12 and offer instead 4, 15, 16, and with 1024 resolution offered. Many people have written to ask how to get these other settings. I also ran into the problem you are having and then figured out that 12 was really 8 on my computer, and eliminating 12 would prevent this from happening.

Some of the add-on programs require more than 4-bit color (links2, Abiword).