baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 with scsi drive

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 with scsi drive
  • Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 17:35:50 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org

> Three of my four drives here have developed partition table
> problems in the past week, which I hope I have fixed (the last two
> stayed the proper size but the last partition on each doubled
> itself - is this possibly a BIOS problem? They were working and I
> only noticed the problem while trying out spinrite on them.).

Were these drives all in the same PC? Could be a serious motherboard
problem. I wouldn't use a PC that trashes hard drives that badly.

> A friend offered a 4G scsi drive. I have the card and what looks
> like a scsi cable (long, blue, stiff). To use it with linux would
> I need to do anything more than boot with my new scsi-capable
> kernel?

If you have the modules for your SCSI card and the disk module it will
work, barring SCSI hardware difficulties.

> Is there some advantage to having four smaller partitions instead
> of one big one and maybe a swap partition? A smaller partition
> seems to boot faster and I could probably just use another
> partition mounted on /tmp when I needed more space for compiling,
> or use it to store .tgz packages that I don't need to get at, or
> mount it to use in copying music files.

If you're using a DOS or Windows filesystem, you don't want many
partitions because of file fragmentation. Unix partitions should be
fine with four parts.

David