baslinux - Re: [BL] ipfwadm in BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ipfwadm in BL3
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:04:44 +0000 (UTC)

Carl Reaburn wrote:

/sbin<#>ls
BL1: Slackware 3.5 kernels/modules Slackware 3.5 packages
BL2: Slackware 7.1 kernels/modules Slackware 7.1 packages
BL3 Slackware 7.1 kernels/modules Slackware 4.0 packages

I did use slackware 7.1, bugger! Now how the hell am I going to get it all out again? I don't suppose there is an uninstall?

Put tcpip2.tgz on your computer. Go to that directory and type d (or links .) or type d followed by the path to that file, to get a list of all the files in that directory. Arrow down, hit Enter key, which will list all the files in the package and where they end up (except sometimes some of them are moved around and symlinks made by an install script doinst.sh). They are probably in just a few directories and you can either delete the entire directory if nothing else is in there, or delete using *.

You can use the same technique, after installing a package, to remove the parts you do not need (such as ytalk - used for chat between two users on your system), but first type ldd ipwdadm to make sure you don't need any of them - it will list libraries that you need. If you did not see anything in a library directory you may not need to do this.

Or you can in some cases just extract the parts you want with tar but someone else will have to explain how as it did not work for me. You can put the file in /tmp or somewhere else where it is not going to get mixed up with other things, then tar -zxvf tcpip2.tgz and extract it all with the directory structure that it needs (but under /tmp) and then copy over the pieces you want and delete the stuff in /tmp when you are done (/tmp/usr/sbin etc.) I do this but Steven says it is likely to cause problems and he prefers to install the whole package. (Fine if you have the space but I don't always).

Do I use slackware 7.1 or 4 for the kernel? I used 7.1 and matched the package to the kernel.
Both use kernel 2.2.16 - no difference.