baslinux - Re: [BL] Disk2.tgz

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Disk2.tgz
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:19:00 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> Is there some way, after booting, to make a third
> RAMdisk and install extra programs to it, by mounting
> the ramdisk on /usr/local/bin on a computer with lots
> of RAM?

Yes. Just imitate the method used in /etc/rc.
Keep in mind that the maximum ramdisk size for
the default kernel is 4mb.

> Or at least run things from floppy disk if they
> fit on floppy disk?

Yes. A floppy filesystem is slow, but it works
just like any other filesystem (just be sure to
umount the floppy before removing it).

> Kermit is 2MB, kermit.gz about 700K - is there
> some way to run a zipped binary without first
> copying to ramdisk?

No, not with zip or gzip.

> Could I put upx'ed kermit on a floppy disk and
> run it if I had lots of RAM?

Perhaps. I'm not very familiar with upx.

> These two computers did not even have winmodems, just
> some box with flashing lights that was probably cable
> or DSL. Would it be feasible to set up a 2-floppy BL3
> that could handle cable and DSL,

I've always used a dial-up modem, so I don't know a lot
about cable/DSL. However, I think you usually use
ethernet for them.

> or are the drivers for each model different?

It depends on which network card you are using. If it's
NE2000 compatible, BL3 has the driver. Otherwise, you
will probably find the driver you need in Slackware 7.1
(/modules/2.2.16/net).

> A BL3 boot CD image was mentioned by some list member
> - where do we find it now?

The only CD image I am aware of is for BL2. It is at
the BL2 download site.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru