baslinux - Re: [BL] laptop for linux - formatting problem

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] laptop for linux - formatting problem
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 00:18:29 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:

> DamnSmallLinux analyzed the hardware and told me that the CD-ROM drive is
> scd0. I think this means it is a SCSI drive, which might be why the hard
> drive controller can be bad but the CD-ROM drive still works.

I think it's just the typical scsi emulation Linux uses for CD drives.

> It also told me cardmgr was ttyS2. I was able to learn enough vi to edit
> the wvdial.conf file to set modem to ttyS2 (it dialed) and also to ttyS0
> (dialed with a external modem as well). Also had to set userid and
> password in two places, and phone number but not DNS servers.
> Too bad I have to re-edit all this stuff every time I boot, but I suppose
> I could copy the file to floppy disk as with BL ramdisk.

Don't know about that older version of DSL you have, but newer version
have a configuration script you run to enter modem settings (under
Applications > net > modem or something like that in the fluxbox popup
menu).

Also, newer versions of DSL have a backup to HD routine where you can save
key settings, then restore them on subsequent boots from the CD. I made
an ext2 partition specifically for saving some such settings on a machine
I have, and boot DSL to a previous configuration that way. This is all
stuff borrowed from Knoppix, I believe, so ultimate credit for this
wizardry probably goes to Klaus Knopper.

James