baslinux - Re: [BL] laptop for linux - formatting problem

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] laptop for linux - formatting problem
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:13:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Rob Heard wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:
>
> > Syschk finds the drive but says it is not formatted.
> > Fdisk says there are no partitions. We partition with PQMagic before
> > that. Repartitioned with fdisk. (Tried MS-DOS 6.22, DR-DOS, Win95 and
> > Win98 DOS). Seems to work at first but then displays file names wrong.
> > Command.com becomes commaod!.! or the like (consistently). Can't find
> > directories or renames them oddly.
> >

> I once had a machine that did the same sort of thing. The nice tech
> person at work said the hard disk controller was defective.

Thanks, that makes sense. Works fine from floppy disk. I have downloaded
smart bootmanager and will install it to DOS boot floppy disk. The
documentation was a .tgz file which needed to be unpacked with linux and
the file names renamed or they would all have come out the same in DOS
(user-guide-1.html through 9.html). I am hoping the hard drive controller
(IDE controller) is not also controlling the CD-ROM drive. Are laptop
CD-ROM drives which are not PCMCIA generally on the same IDE controller as
the hard drive? In desktop computers sometimes just one of 2
controllers goes bad.

What does a hard disk controller look like? Perhaps we can plug and
unplug it, which sometimes removes corrosion.