baslinux - Re: [BL] XF86Config

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: Andrey <eviland AT 4enet.by>, <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [BL] XF86Config
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 10:43:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Andrey wrote:

> Please help me to config my GeForce 2 MX400 64mb and monitor ViewSonic
> G655 (1024x768) in XF86Config under X. What packages I should to install
> for 1024x768 32bit ? (BasicLinux 2)

You can also use Xvesa in BL2, with the xvesa.tgz package from Dillo.
For ideas on how to put together a minimal Xvesa installation, see the
thread from this April 'minimal X for BL2'. I got it into about 2MB, I
think (plus some added fonts). Xvesa does not need configuration except
for specifying the type of mouse if it is not PS/2 and you have not
already made a symlink to /dev/mouse.

You can add icewm by installing bl2-x.tgz, I think, but I am not sure what
will happen if you don't also have all the other related packages
installed first. bl2-x is designed to set up 16 -color VGA.

Some day I can try to make a X package.

This will be much easier than specifying horizontal and vertical refresh
rates, type of video chip, etc., which took some of us several days to get
right.

But Xvesa can cause a few little problems of its own, one of these being
that it will not work if you first boot MS-DOS with himem.sys (or in my
case sometimes also Win98 DOS - worked on two computers, not on another)
in which case you need to reboot without config.sys (hit F5, make a boot
menu, or boot from floppy disk, or use DR-DOS on the hard drive). Some
people have had problems with console fonts after using it.