baslinux - Re: [BL] Windows 98 shell

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Windows 98 shell
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:44:40 -0400 (EDT)

I went and read the description at your site and am experimenting by
hand-editing system.ini

If i change from Explorer.exe to Progman it loads in 29 sec either way. I
changed back and forth a few times to count and at one point got:

Error loading Explorer.ini You must reinstall Windows.

So I did a copy system.old system.ini (you recommended making system.old
as a backup) and it works again with Explorer. I wonder why Windows did
not automatically keep a backup instead of telling users to reinstall.

17 seconds to command.com for a savings of 12 sec. About the same as
linux. I maximized the DOS window and have a lovely big black screen with
a few white words on it and no icons etc.

I made batch files to run wordview and opera.

I need to exit DOS by typing exit before I can shut down Windows with
Ctrl-Alt-Del when in command.com shell.

I can't think of any reason to put back Explorer in system.ini so might
not need chshell.exe. Your information was really useful though.

I can type defrag c: at the DOS prompt. It still runs slowly.

Thanks very much.