baslinux - [BL] Xvesa Segmentation Violation

  • From: Robert Steinmetz <rob AT steinmetznet.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Xvesa Segmentation Violation
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 13:30:24 -0600

I am trying to get BL3 on running on an old AST Notebook.

startx
results in a black screen and the following errors;

_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errorno = 111
<repeat 18 times>
MENU: cannot open display
swm: cannot open display , giving up

Xvesa -list modesVBE version 1.2 (Cirrus Logic GD-7543 VGA)
DAC is switchable, controller is VGA compatible
Total memory: 960 kilobytes

Xvesa -verbose

Results in a black Screen and the following output

Mode Requested 640x480x4
0x00012: 640x480x4 Planar (4 planes) (no linear frame buffer)
Static Color bpp 4 depth 4
Mode Selected 640x480x4
Previous modes: VBE 0x3 BIOS 0x3
Enable Bios mode 0x12
Segmentation Fault.

All modes I have tried so far have this same problem.

In looking up Xvesa It appears that later versions have an option which is not present in the BL3 version.

*-map-holes*
use a contiguous (hole-less) memory map. This fixes a segmentation
violation with some rare BIOSes that violate the VESA specification,
but may cause slightly higher memory usage on systems that
overcommit memory.

--
Robert Steinmetz
Principal