baslinux - Re: [BL] Midnight Commander

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: ian.freedomnet AT softhome.net, <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Midnight Commander
  • Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 17:23:23 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, Ian. wrote:

> Hi Im new to Linux. Ive managed to put BL1.8 onto a hard drive.
> Im very much a Norton Commander clone user, Volkov C' and Far,
> actually, so Id like to get a good installation of Midnight
> Commander going. Ive got the stripped down version of MC from
> the BL site working but I cant get any other version (Slackware
> 3.5 , SW 3.1 , "mini-mc") to work even though I managed to track
> down the Library files that it says it needs (from Slackware 9.1).
> BL just gives up and returns to the login when I try to startup
> MC from the bash prompt. Has any one here had any success with
> MC?

I had no trouble installing the MC from Slackware 3.2 (we have the CD).
You need to get the library files and any other dependencies (do ldd mc to
find out what they are) NOT from SW 9.1 but from SW3.x. I had to add
the gpm mouse library (libgpm) to get mc to work.

> Thought Id ask here before I try to download any other enormous
> tgz files.

The files for Slackware 3.5 won't be as enormous as those for 9.1.