baslinux - Re: [BL] video cards

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] video cards
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 23:02:25 -0500 (EST)

> I will try the other three approaches except the link to Delilinux (xvesa)
> seems to be broken.

The link (click on Add-ons at the BL2 site) to Delilinux should including
/pkg/ between /delilinux and deli. I download xvesa.tgz and installed it.
My video was previously set for svga (it worked at 8 bit color) and it
continues to work even though I don't have XF86Config set up for the new
server. In fact I cannot change accel to vesa and still have X working.
I think James said xvesa uses some command-line way of specifying things.

I will read the Xvesa.1 man page (after copying over man2html via floppy
drive which I could not do on that computer because the power to the drive
somehow got disconnected during our hard drive transplant experiment).
Since this computer is continually resetting there is no need to make its
SiS video work in more colors but it will be good practice. How do I find
out, other than by putting in a lot of video cards, which video chips are
supported by svgalib? (SiS is not).

I think I read somewhere that you could use a dual-monitor system with one
AGP and one PCI video card, plugging in two VGA monitors. Has anyone
experience with this? Our computer seems to require choosing between the
two in CMOS but is there some way to use both? I am using both TTL and
VGA on one computer, with the terminals split between them, and modcon
module.

James, can you post a very small package consisting of man2html and your
man script for using it with zcat, find, and links (or lynx for those who
have it, as an option?

------
Off topic:

Doug pointed out that you cannot remark things out in shell scripts using
#, which is why my lynx compiled without ssl. Any lines following a line
with # were apparently interpreted wrongly. More to read about.

I still cannot print with ghostscript even after importing Steven's
properly typed lines into the correct places. I did have one typo, but
with that corrected things still go through the print buffer and into the
ether, not onto the paper.

> The SiS video is not supported by svgalib either - links2 will only do 16
> not 256 colors.

I am strongly tempted to put in a Tseng PCI card in my next computer
instead of the newer Trio3D with four times the RAM.