baslinux - Re: [BL] video cards

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] video cards
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 11:37:13 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003, Sindi Keesan wrote:

> > > They are both VESA 2.0 compliant.
> >
> > Then you should be able to use the frame-buffer Xserver
> > (xxfb.tgz) instead of XSVGA. Whether this will give you
> > a better display, I do not know. I have never tried the
> > FB Xserver.
> >

> I installed xxfb.tgz and then ran xf86config. It did not offer xfb as a
> server so I selected "accel" and then changed it afterwards manually when
> I got an error message "No configured graphics devices for fbdev
> graphics driver in "Screen" section." I replaced accel with fbdev.
>
> Then I got the error message 'failed to open /dev/fb0'
> Do I need to make some link to, or create, /dev/fb0? If so how and
> where?

You might want to try tinyx from JP's site, or Delilinux's xvesa, which
are newer, but likely still BL2-compatible. I have very little experience
with xfb (actually, its successor xfbdev), having only run it from a Linux
live CD (DamnSmallLinux). I've had a little more experience with xvesa
though, which is similar. With xvesa, you don't run xf86config: it
doesn't use this file. Instead, you specify video options on the command
line when you start it:
xvesa 800x600x32 mouse=/dev/psaux,5
- sort of like that (I'm recalling this from memory, probably not
correctly, so please check the web before issuing such options on the
command line). Then it starts the gui. Maybe I can dig up some more info
from notes or the web, if you need more. Caution: my recollection is that
xvesa and xfbdev are very poorly documented, so you might have to search
long and hard to get it right.

James