baslinux - Re: [BL] Where is the install script

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Where is the install script
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 09:57:04 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 celise AT prodigy.net.mx wrote:

> I have the new PC to install BL, but when run the install
> script it can't find the packages to install from the
> slackware CD. I found the problem is the directories in the
> CD wich are capital leters (/SLAKWARE/A2) and the script
> search /slakware/a2.
>
> I never before have this problem and I though changing the
> script to search the directories in capital leters this can
> be solved, but I can't find where is the script.
>
> Thanks Ernesto

I also installed from CD ($1 for a set of 3 from Cheapbytes recently, plus
$5 shipping) and it could not find any files at all on the CD until I
remembered that before mounting the CD-ROM drive I need to put the CD into
it. Would it be worth reminding beginners about needing to do this in the
Installation instructions that come with BL2 for ramdisk?

My other problem was that I forgot where to look for the installation
program. I did not find any mention at the BL2 home page that you can
install to hard page, just a list of suggested additional programs to
install and where to find them.

Apart from these problems of my own making, BL2 installed perfectly and I
now have a basic system working on a REALLY fast computer (P133 with 32M
RAM). The RAMdisk version worked on two other pentiums with various
modems that DOS won't always dial with. The split.exe program was useful
for transferring the large file between them.

I notice that there are now links on the BL2 home page to files posted by
James and JP, and I downloaded zgv and that works fine too (but I need to
figure out again how to set it up to use with browsers). I found James'
readme list of available files but it does not match the actual list there
for download in that lynx-ssl and opera6.05 are not there. James, could
you either post these or put links to them? I forget who compiled
lynx-ssl (284). I will ask Doug Kaufman to help me, now that I have the
compiler files on CD, to compile Lynx 2.85 in a version that lets you set
text attributes so you can tell underlines from bold. Should I also
attempt to compile Opera 7? We have it now for Windows and it can be set
to display only requested popups and it is smaller than 6. (3.3M compiled)

Someone please remind me how to install Opera as I know I did it wrong
last time trying to use installpkg and it did not end up on the path and
the temporary files were not deleted.

Kermit (compiled specially for us) comes with instructions how to install
it - is it worth linking to it at the BL2 page? I use it for dialing our
bbs and it also comes with nice telnet, ftp and file transfer programs -
the latter worked for transferring files between a DOS computer and a
linux computer via parallel cable.

I will actually join this mailing list after I delete most of what
accumulated in my mailbox (80% full) by early Sept. when I got out of the
hospital. Chemotherapy is going as well as can be expected and I hope to
be done Dec. 8 except for tests. I can now sit long enough to play with
linux again and will even attempt to get SANE scanner software compiled.

  • Re: [BL] Where is the install script, sindi keesan, 11/29/2003