baslinux - Re: [BL] Linux install

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Linux install
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 08:09:23 +1300

Jason wrote:

> Yes, the two floppy auto-booting version...
> is there somewhere on the website i missed?

A DOS script is provided in the bl2 zip for creating
the floppy version automatically. No Linux script
is provided; however, you can do the steps yourself
if you want to do it in Linux.

First, you need two DOS-formatted floppies. This can
be done in Linux or you can simply use pre-formatted
floppies (most new floppies seem to be pre-formatted
for DOS).

Then, you need to split baslinux.gz into two pieces
(Linux has a utility to do this called "split"). The
first piece should be approximately 400kb. Name this
piece "part1". The remainder of baslinux.gz is named
"part2".

Copy part2 to the second floppy. Nothing else goes on
that floppy.

Write the boot image (bl2-fd.img) to the first floppy:
dd if=bl2-fd.img of=/dev/fd0
Then copy part1, zimage and loadlin.exe to that floppy.

I haven't tried the above method myself, but it will
probably work. The only doubtful step is the dd line
-- it might need an addition parameter or two.

Let us know how it goes.