baslinux - Re: [BL] homenetwork

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] homenetwork
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 09:01:23 +1300

Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:

> BasicLinux 2.0 on a P100 and SuSE 8.2 on a Pentium II.
> The P100 is named p100 , 192.168.0.2
> the Pentium is called bigone, 192.168.0.1
> They are connected with a twisted pair cable.
>
> I am able to ping from both machines

OK your network is working.

> but further contact has not been successful. What I need
> are simple directions how to send files from one PC
> to the other, how to look into the other PC.

You need to run a server on bigone. If you run a HTTP server
on bigone, then p100 can access it using links (or other browser).
If you run a NFS server on bigone, then p100 can access it by
doing a network mount. If you run a telnet server on bigone,
then p100 can access it using telnet.

The key is to run a server on bigone and configure it correctly.
Bigone is a SuSE machine, so I cannot provide step-by-step
directions for it. SuSE is quite different from Slackware and
has a different way of configurating things (which I do not
know).

I suggest you do "ps ax" on bigone and see if perhaps a HTTP,
NFS or telnet server is already running. If not, you will need
to find a way to start one (I recommend NFS).