baslinux - Re: [BL] Fileserver components

  • From: Robert Steinmetz <rob AT steinmetznet.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Fileserver components
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 18:06:33 -0500

Matrix Mole wrote:

I agree, it is a very challenging project. Basically what I'm going to do,
is set BL up as a server machine and run it headless, most of my
maintenance I'll be doing through telnet sessions.
Most PCs won't boot without a keyboard. Unless there is a space issue you should consider a monitor even if only for emergencies. Sometimes it's the only way to get access,. Say for example the network card fails.

The addition of my wife's Mac into the connection is to allow her access
to the internet through the network. This will be a fun feat to perform.
Right now, I'm using a standard dial-up using Netzero to access the net on
my Win98 box. once budget allows I intend to get a cablemodem, and
install some firewall software on my BL box too. Then, I'll have the
cablemodem connected to the linux machine, and all the machines will access
the net through the linux box. Even before I get cablemodem, I want to be
able to give my wife access to the net.
Essentially this is setting up the Linux box as a router, it is a fairly common application.

This I know is a win98 modemshare issue,

Not necessarily. If the modem is on the BL box, then you can use it as a gateway, and access the internet through it for both Windows 98 and Mac. When you add the cable modem you'll only need to change that part of the BL setup, the Mac and Win 98 machine can stay the same. BTW when you get the cablemodem, get one with an ethernet connection, not a USB if you can. It makes networking several machines easier and is far more flexible, you can add a wireless router if you want.

As for samba, I can't say anything about until I have the hardware to
start connecting the machines together. Once I have that I'll post some of
my results here.

Before you install samba get basic TCP/IP working on all machines. It's much easier that way.

That's what I was afraid of. I wish I could find some computer user groups
in my area to sponge knowledge from :)

Feel free to ask any questions here.

--
Robert Steinmetz