baslinux - Re: [BL] Fileserver components

  • From: "James Miller (office)" <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Fileserver components
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 15:12:13 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> > I used diald for a while on a newer computer and was very unhappy
> > with it. It would disconnect from the 'net frequently with no
> > apparent reason, then I'd have to go through various gyrations
> >
> > Diald has certainly - at least from my experience with it - not
> > succeeded very well.
>
> I've never used dial-on-demand myself, but I don't think diald
> is used anymore. I believe demand dialing has been incorporated
> into pppd (which should give smoother operation).

I think I was coming to that conclusion toward the end of my diald career.
But can pppd run on a gateway through which other clients are requesting
outside network connections and thus be made to answer their requests
(i.e., connect to the 'net when they ask)? Just for clarification of my
rather muddled understanding of the issues . . .

James