baslinux - Re: [BL] pdftotext

  • From: Neo Sze Wee <neoszewee AT gmx.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] pdftotext
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 13:26:00 +0000

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 01:38:14PM -0400, keesan2 AT cyberspace.org wrote:

> > > Does your computer have a coprocessor?
> >
> > How do you know?
> >
> > What if I do not have?
>
> I think this error message is implying that pdftotext needs a math
> coprocessor.
>
> We use another diagnostic program (for DOS) called syschk. You can find
> it online somewhere. It is shareware. Type syschk and it gives you a
> page of general information about your computer. The first line for
> my pentium 166 reads:
>
> CPU: Intel Pentium with FPU: Internal
>
> FPU is the coprocessor. If it says something like none, you don't have a
> math coprocessor. Do you have a 486SX?

Yes.

In fact, some of the linux kernel I download from the net will complain
that I have not math and cpu coprocessor, if this is any help.

> It then tells you speed, ROM date, memory, etc. Do not trust the video
> memory number. I just noticed this computer has a VESA 2.0 video card so
> I can try Xvesa from JP.

I have used whatvga for dos and I see there is some sort of Vesa
support. I vaguely remember it is Vesa 0.7. I suppose if this is true I
will not be able to use Xvesa or miniX.

> > > Do you have cwsdpmi.exe on the path?
> >
> > Yes. In the same directory. The useful thing I can do is "pdftotext /?".
>

> Try pdftotext on a computer that you know has a math coprocessor.

Why does a computer need a math coprocessor?