baslinux - [BL] Opera 6.03

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] Opera 6.03
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 12:41:03 -0400 (EDT)

It installs itself into a directory named the same as the file minus
.tar.gz. (I made an alias to avoid typing the path name each time).

I was able to remap the - and + on the number pad (of my 84-key keyboard)
to F11 and F12. What are these used for other than by Opera?

I suggest you use F11 (fullscreen mode toggle) when browsing so that the
toolbars and banner ad will not fill 2/3 of the screen (at 640 resolution
- VGA16). Unlike in 5.05, you cannot make the buttons next to the banner
ad become text instead of images, so they take up even more space.

Opera takes a couple of minutes to load on my 486. You may have to hit
the ESC key at some point to get it to proceed. It is quite slow at
redrawing the screen when you toggle full-screen mode. I would not
suggest it as the 'right' BL2 browser, but it will work at sites where
Links and Lynx will not (when you need both https and javascript).
I like it because it can be used without a mouse. (5.05 could not).
It is supposed to work with Realaudio. So is Chimera (in JP's mini-X).
Does Links 2.1.9 do plugins?

Perhaps with SVGA instead of VGA16 it would be faster. I did not notice a
speed improvement when I used it with the mono X server.

I noticed retawq at JP's site - about 300K download, text-only browser,
they are planning on table support some time. A choice between menu or
command-line commands. I will try it soon.

To find the older Operas I went to www.opera.com and selected:

Products
Linux
Opera 6 - Free Download
Opera archives
Linux
603
final
en
qt-static

This brought me to a page with four binaries for download:
.rpm
.tar.bz2
.tar.gz (this is the one - 4.7M)
.deb

Opera is not making it easy to find the old versions (but if you think
this was difficult try finding an old version of Realaudio - I had to
write them for the URL).

Steven, do you mind posting this link at your site?

Maybe you should have looked for .tar.gz not .tgz?