baslinux - Re: [BL] Installation NOW COMPLETE

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Installation NOW COMPLETE
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 13:17:03 +1000

Hi Steven,

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 02:33:16 +1000, qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Ron Clarke wrote:

>> fstab:

>> /dev/hda1 / ext2 defaults 1 1

> That tells the kernel to mount /dev/hda1 at /
> (the root filesystem) as an ext2 filesystem
> with default settings. The 1 at the end of
> the line is the fsck flag. It specifies that
> the filesystem should be checked (by e2fsck).

Thanks for that info.

> If /dev/hda1 is your DOS partition, then that line
> is very, very wrong.

Yep. :(

>> (after I have mounted my C DOS drive to /c) when I
>> enter df, both my hard disks show up as

>> /dev/hda1 118194 32221 79870 29 % /
>> /dev/hda1 515792 133880 381912 26 % /c

> That is definitely wrong. You need to sort that
> out urgently (before something gets corrupted by
> the conflicting designation). You need to determine
> which partition is actually DOS and which is ext2.

Oh, I know which is which.

> Hopefully, this will tell you:
> --------
> fdisk -l
> --------
> Then edit /etc/fstab so that it shows the correct
> location of the ext2 partition.

My fstab now reads:
/dev/hdb1 / ext2 defaults 1 1
none /proc proc defaults 0 0

On boot up, all went well except that I was told /hdb1 was not
umounted properly and a check was forced. That seemed to go well and I
was able to log on without trouble, and without the previous error
messages.

Question - should I include:

/dev/hda1 /c msdos defaults 0 0
or FAT16

in fstab, between the two ?

> Are you using DrDOS, by any chance? I had something
> similar happen to me using the DrDOS version of fdisk.

Nope. MS-DOS 6.20

BTW: Links 2 is installed and running. But couldn't do graphics when
invoked from the CLI as "Links -g" - messages say that some library,
some .config and some -mode is not set or missing. Can I only do
graphics in icewm ? Or do I need to configure something ? Or do I
need to install the extra video package over vga16.tgz ?

It DOES run under icewm with the -g parameter, but the colours are
absolute crap, and the speed of display is pretty glacial at 33 MHz.

And neither in CLI or icewm will it display any of the graphics. Just
text and some pretty ferocious colours. Do I need to get seejpeg.tgz ?
Or libpng.tgz and such stuff ?

Will it help if I get and install the S3 video driver for my Tseng
card with 1 MB video RAM ?

Regards,
Ron

Ron Clarke