b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ruth 1: 12 too old for a husband

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ruth 1: 12 too old for a husband
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 15:26:56 +0300

I think that the main issue here is economic, not "self worth". Naomi is an
old woman with no means of making a living. She has no property and can't
really work, and in the patriarchal society and agrarian economy that was
ancient Israel, this means that she is pretty much destined to be a beggar.
The only way that she would have of ensuring that she would be supported
would be to "catch a man" (even as a second wife), but at her age who would
have her? So she tries to convince her daughters-in-law to leave her to her
fate. Orpah (whose name means "back of the neck", as in "turning back", in
Hebrew להפנות עורף) goes, Ruth stays.

Yigal Levin