b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ruth 1: 12 too old for a husband

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Daniel Lundsgaard Skovenborg <waldeinburg AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Chris Watts <dekruidnootjes AT eircom.net>, "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ruth 1: 12 too old for a husband
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 04:43:18 -0700 (PDT)

I think the "causal" thing is there pragmatically, not semantically like in the translation. The hyperliteral translation would rather be: "I am old from being for a man." – without the "too".
I believe the use of מן here is that of comparison, i.e., the best literal translation should actually rather be: "I am older than being for a man."

- Daniel Lundsgaard Skovenborg