b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] To Bless and Pools of Water

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Chris Watts <dekruidnootjes AT eircom.net>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] To Bless and Pools of Water
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 07:20:28 -0700

Chris:

On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 12:33 AM, Chris Watts <dekruidnootjes AT eircom.net> wrote:
I'm afraid my hebrew is not knowledgeable enough to understand why 1
Kings 10:28 appears to have translated the twice repeated MiQVeH as
'linen yarn'?

Who translated it that way? That makes absolutely no sense.

There are two verbs spelled QWH, one used commonly means to wait for, to await, from which is derived TQWH hope, that which is waited for.

The second is used only twice in Tanakh meaning to gather together or to collect together, found in Genesis 1:9 and Jeremiah 3:17. This one has the derivative MQWH that refers to what is gathered, the act of gathering, the one who gathers and the place where things are gathered. While the consonantal spelling for all those are the same, did they all have the same pronunciation? No evidence for that, and very likely not.

Chris Watts
Ireland