b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ecclesiastes 3:11

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ecclesiastes 3:11
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2013 19:17:38 +0200

Dear John,

I am not aware of of a single instance in the Tanakh where the context
suggests that (lM does not have a temporal meaning, but have a local meaning.
This is also the case with the corresponding Aramaic word. To the best of my
knowledge, the local meaning is late and was acquired through Aramaic; for
example, (LM HABBA in the Mishnah. We should keep in mind that the basic
meaning of (LM is a time with hidden length (cf. the verb); it can be
eternal, but needs not be eternal. We should also be careful with the meaning
of the Greek word AION, It can refer to eternity, or it can have a local
meaning. The Greek world KOSMOS is in most Bible translations translated by
world. The references can be, 1) the world of mankind, 2) mankind outside the
Christian congregation, 3) the circumstances into which a human being os
born, 4) adornment, and 5) possibly one time: the universe. The word AION
does not have any of these references. So, to translate both AION anD KOSMOS
as "world," which many Bible translations do, cause confusion. Some
translations use "age" for AION, and this works in some contexts. But the
basic meaning of AION in the local sense is the things and circumstances that
characterizes a certain period of time (this AION, the previous AION, and the
coming AION). There is only one KOSMOS but there are several periods
referred to by AION.

The original question referred to Ecclsiastes 3:1. The readers seek a
commentary on a book of the Bible in order to be illuminated. Biblia Hebraica
has been widely criticized for all the "L's" and other guesses, and to
introduce a different reading than the Hebrew text has, when there is
absolutely no manuscript evidence for it anywhere, is in my view to mislead
the readers. To appeal to the context is in my view very weak; do the
interpreter really understand the context? I see no problem in discussing
possibilities, when these are portrayed as possibilities, and the reader
should be taught that we should not amend the text without solid evidence.
Guesses are often masked in different ways, and the readers do not deserve to
have the guesses of the scholar.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Stavern