b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ecclesiastes 3:11

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ken Penner <kpenner AT stfx.ca>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ecclesiastes 3:11
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 13:18:31 -0300

In Ecclesiastes, עוֹלָם is always written plene except for here in 3:11 (and 1:10, which is plural). This makes me favour Fox’s theory.

Ecclesiastes is the most literal (aiming at one-to-one correspondence) of all the books in the “Septuagint,” so it is not surprising that in Ecclesiastes, עוֹלָם always becomes αἰών and αἰών always is a translation of עוֹלָם.

Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.

Associate Professor, Religious Studies

2329 Notre Dame Avenue, 409 Nicholson Tower

St. Francis Xavier University

Antigonish, NS  B2G 2W5

Canada

(902)867-2265