b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: John Leake <jesleake AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 07:15:41 -0700

John:

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 5:06 AM, John Leake <jesleake AT yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
Why do you say 'reused', Karl? it's a fundamental part of the the yiqtol form.

I didn’t mean it in the sense of a used car.

When the main use of a form is to indicate one meaning, I merely used the term “reused” to indicate that it is used for other meanings as well. I didn’t want to limit its use to only one usage when Biblical Hebrew used it for more than one usage.

In Arabic there are subjunctive and indicative forms, yaqtala as against the yaqtalu, and I think this probably held in early Canaanite. But these two forms are conjoined in Hebrew due to loss of final vowels. So it's an inherent function.

John Leake

ان صاحب حياة هانئة لا يدونها انما يحياها
He who has a comfortable life doesn't write about it - he lives it