b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] to rolf

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] to rolf
  • Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 15:16:49 +0200

Dear George,

I have two questions:

1) Is the meaning of the verb forms different in Hebrew prose and poetry? If
the answer is affirmative, do we find a similar difference in other
languages? (BTW, your clauses with examples of YIQTOL and QATAL are poetry).

2) Is there a difference in meaning between the YIQTOLs and QATALs in Psalm
2:1, 2?

Psalm 2:1, 2 (NIV): "Why do the nations conspire (QATAL) and the people plot
(YIQTOL) in vain?
The kings of the earth take their stand
(YIQTOL) and the rulers gather (QATAL) against the LORD and
his Anonted One."

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Stavern