b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] to'evah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] to'evah
  • Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 07:29:13 +0200

Sorry, Mike, but I actually don't see the word To'evah in this passage (although I may have missed it). The term used throughout this chapter which has a similar but apparently more limited semantic range is "Shaqetz".

But in any case, as I wrote before, the meaning you attribute to such a word depends on your interpretation of the meaning of the passage. Specifically, the Torah is telling us not to eat these animals and that any person or object that touched their "Nevelah" becomes "tameh". Now, what does Nevelah mean? It usually refers to a dead body. So does this mean that touching a living specimen does not make one tameh? Or, in this case, does it just mean "body", dead or alive? And what does Tameh mean? It's the opposite of Tahor, "pure", which is a ritual state of being. The way in which one goes from tameh to tahor is by ritual, usually immersion in water, sometimes accompanied by a sacrifice. Do tameh and tahor have any ethical or moral significance as well? All of these are questions that go way beyond the literal meaning of the text.

As far as "loathing" non-tahor animals – that's also a cultural thing. Historically, different Jewish communities have had different attitudes towards such animals. There are passages in the Talmud which say that one should not keep a dog – unless one lives in such a place in which dogs are important for security. And what makes horses and donkeys less tameh than dogs? Probably just the fact that they were more common as household animals. As you probably know, pigs are considered to be especially "not-kosher", but they're no less kosher than horses. However Jews never kept them around, because they have no function other than to eat.

Just as an anecdote, in the Jerusalem "biblical" zoo there is a display of tapirs, which look a lot like pigs. Next to the display there is a big sign in Yiddish (the only Yiddish sign in the whole zoo) which says "das nischt a Hazir" – "this is not a pig". Of course, a tapir is just a "sheqetz" as a pig, but the cultural connotation is such, that the zoo's many ultra-Orthodox visitors would freak out if they saw a pig there. A tapir does not have the same effect.

Yigal Levin