b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Off-Topic: Where should I pursue a Ph.D.?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Off-Topic: Where should I pursue a Ph.D.?
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 10:31:07 -0800

I suspect the answers may be of interest to more than just Christopher Lovelace, so is there any reason the answers not be made public?

Karl W. Randolph.

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 8:33 AM, C L <sigebryht AT yahoo.com> wrote:
Dear Colleagues,

I need advice on where to consider pursuing a Ph.D. in Hebrew/Old Testament or a related field.

I'm especially interested in paleography, but would not be opposed to doing some work in Ugaritic, Akkadian, or a similar field in Assyriology.

I hold an M.Div., and am planning on graduating from my Th.M. program (with a focus in Hebrew/Old Testament) this year.

It may also be helpful to note that I am a U.S. citizen, but I also have permanent residence in Argentina. Therefore, it would probably be easiest for me to study in the U.S., though I am not opposed to studying outside the U.S. if funding is available.

Funding is a big issue. We don't have funds to pay for a degree out-of-pocket, so I would need to look at schools or programs that offer stipends, scholarships, etc.

The moderators may be interested in allowing this thread, since it may be interesting to the participants. Nevertheless, please feel free to send me a private message if you have any feedback or advice on this topic.

Sincerely,

Christopher Lovelace